Banana bread and my family go waaayyyy back. Like, back to the Mayflower, back. Actually, I don’t think I had any ancestors on the Mayflower…now that I think about it, I rather doubt there were any bananas either, but you get my point. My family loves banana bread; and, they have come up with many variations of it throughout the years. There has been banana, coconut, and pineapple bread; banana chocolate chip bread; banana butterscotch chip bread; and the old standby, banana nut bread among many others. Banana bread has accompanied most family get togethers in my remembrance.
It must have been a considerable shock to them to discover that I HATE bananas. I can down raw oysters, frog legs, fried ‘gator, and chocolate covered ants (actually, I have yet to try those, but I would), before I can chew and swallow a bite of banana. It literally will not go down. I have tried. My throat stages a major protest before the banana bite gets midway. I’m sorry. I have no control over this.
Since I have this history with bananas, it was with great surprise that I was able to eat fried plantain chips at a now defunct restaurant in Houston, and enjoy them. As a result, I decided to attempt the hallowed banana bread. It took awhile, but I found a recipe I love courtesy of Southern Living. I did modify it a little, though. Speaking of which, I just got notice that my last issue is next month, major problem, I cannot let that magazine lapse….off to renew.
‘K, I’m back, tragedy averted.
I made some banana bread this afternoon and decided to share. Would you like a slice?
Banana-Nut Bread
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped, toasted pecans
1/2 cup butter, melted
2-3 very ripe bananas, mashed
2 large eggs
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
Grease and flour bottom of about 5 mini loaf pans. (My preference.)
Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
Stir together melted butter, mashed banana, and remaining ingredients; add to dry ingredients, and stir just until everything is moistened.
Spoon batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the loaves are golden on top.
Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely (if you can wait).
This also makes great muffins. I prefer the mini loaf pans to the regular sized one because I think the bread comes out more evenly baked. Plus, it's easier to snack on, but, if you must be average this will also make a 9"x5" loaf. ;)
By the way, I like mine hot out of the oven and slathered with melting butter. Sooooo, yummy! Yes, I know it sounds weird, but since one of my sisters likes hers the same way I am assuming it’s an odd genetic thing. Try it though….you may like it. :) It's also fantastic sandwiched with cream cheese icing (frosting if you are somewhere other than Texas.)
But, I *still* cannot eat raw banana. It makes me shudder and my throat convulses to even consider it.
But, I *still* cannot eat raw banana. It makes me shudder and my throat convulses to even consider it.
No comments:
Post a Comment