Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Memory Lane

Take a walk with me today, a little stroll down memory lane in honour of the fact that 4 years ago we had been home from the hospital a bit over a week and were learning all about juggling the needs of twin daughters. They were tiny, couldn't regulate their own body temps well, and were close to clueless about the whole eating process, but, they were so precious, and they were all ours.
I was only 8 weeks along when we found out our number of children would be doubling. Emalea, our oldest, had been praying for twin siblings so that she could be like her best friend Alyssa. Alyssa's mommy had given birth to boy/girl twins in August, and for the previous months Em had been petitioning God. So, there we were in March discovering that we should never underestimate the prayers of a 3 year old!
Our girls, as we discovered at 15 and 17 weeks, grew well and I did my best to stay healthy and eat lots. My Dr constantly reminded me that with my height...or lack thereof...I was at risk of an earlier delivery. She lectured Michael about what I was and was not supposed to be doing, and generally did a good job of putting the fear of God in our lives over the well being of our little treasures. Emalea and Michael Jonathan were just excited that they would *each* get a baby.
And throughout the long hot summer, I grew. I was determined to hold out to 36 weeks. After all, if my good friend Karen, whom we discovered was also carrying twins, could deliver healthy 7 lb, 36 weekers then so could I...right?
Apparently, that wasn't the plan...at 34 weeks 5 days Michael and I found ourselves in the emergency room and then the operating room. At 4:19am on September 7, 2005, Caitlin joined us at 5lb...and just a couple minutes later Elizabeth completed our family, weighing in at 4lb. 9oz. Absolutely fantastic weights for their gestation, but still so very tiny.
An itsy bitsy hand and knee.

NICU was stressful, but thankfully didn't last long. Four days after delivery, we were able to leave the hospital together, much to everyone's surprise...all thanks be to an awesome and powerful God!
C in the back, E in the front.

Elizabeth on the left, Caitlin on the right.

And I have no idea which baby they are each holding.

There are so many stories and pictures that cover the next 4 years, but I'm sure you all have lives and a walk down memory lane that would last 493 hours is probably not in anyone's schedule...so, I'll just share tidbits now and then. For now, here's a brisk jog (and lots of pictures)...
Jackson, Elizabeth, Caitlin, and Kendall (5weeks and 2 weeks)

Elizabeth and Caitlin (3 weeks)

Our Family, Dec. '05, girls are 3.5 months (C,E), MJonathan is 2.5 and Emma is 4.5.

April 2006 - 7 months (E, C)

1 year old! (Elizabeth, Caitlin)

18 months (Elizabeth, Caitlin)

Elizabeth (2), Emalea (6), Caitlin (2), MJonathan (4).
Easter 2008 Elizabeth and Caitlin 2.5.
A visit from Aunt Mimi. E & C, 2.5.
At the Patch, October 20008. MJ (5), Emalea (7), Caitlin & Elizabeth (3).
NICU Reunion, Summer 2009, Caitlin and Elizabeth (3.5) with mommy.
September 7, 2009 - Caitlin and Elizabeth (4).

Happy 4th birthday my sweet girls. You have been a blessing and I thank God daily that He saw fit to give you to us. I love you!

No comments: